Although web design and graphic design sound similar, and both terms can be used together, these terms can also be used independently. Each of them represents a different skillset you should know about. You can choose the career path you want or the web design skills you need to help your business succeed.
Web Design vs. Graphic Design
Each profession requires different technical skills that require training and unique knowledge. Graphic designers need to be proficient in programming, while web designers must be skilled in applying creativity and design to create ideas.
Graphic designers can be consulted for marketing materials, print ads, logos, images for social media, and newsletters. Web designers are also involved in mobile web optimization. They are also the ones to contact if you need to make any changes to your website. A web designer is needed if you want to design good-looking websites.
What is Graphic Design?
Graphic designers design visual concepts using computer software or hand to communicate inspiring, informative, and captivating ideas to consumers. Graphic design can be used to express ideas or thoughts artistically or commercially to communicate messages using graphic and textual elements. Graphic design communicates with the audience by communicating the message and meaning of a product or campaign, event, or project.
What is Web Design?
Web Design is the art of designing, planning, and organizing content and elements for online sharing. This covers the website's functionality and the user interface design for mobile and web apps.
Web design is about the appearance and experience of a website. It tells a story that enhances the user's experience. Web design also addresses the functionality of websites by performing tasks such as testing, optimizing, and ensuring they run smoothly and efficiently.
Differences Between Web Design and Graphic Design
Graphic design is for printing, while web design is for creating a design that can be used online. A graphic designer does not need to be proficient in programming, speed, or other technical aspects of web design. Although graphic design can be used for websites, it is up to the web designer to determine the functionality and placement of the graphic designs. These are the key differences between them:
1. Web designers must have high-level technical skills: They must be proficient in programming and familiar with various programmes that allow them to build websites. On the other hand, graphic designers don't have to be skilled in programming and software. They need to have skills in graphic design. Design can be modified without following many restrictions like web design.
2. Web dynamic, graphic permanent: Web design is flexible and adaptable. Graphic design is a permanent art and it is hard to make changes in it.
3. File size requirements: If you design a graphic for the internet, pixels, and DPI may become important. While images for the web require a specific size and pixel guideline, images not intended to be displayed on the web will need more pixels. These technical limitations, such as file size and loading time, are essential for web design to ensure that the website functions properly.
4. A relationship with web design: Designing a website requires constant involvement. Graphic design isn't difficult. While making minor changes to a website is simple, making major changes in graphic design can prove costly and time-consuming.
5. They use different software: Web designers use web-building and programming tools, while graphic designers use Adobe or Canva to create their creations.
6. Web designers collaborate with web developers: They work closely with developers to bring their ideas into code. Developers help designers to understand any limitations in the design that they create. Web designers work together to determine the goals and objectives for a website. They then give their wireframes and prototypes to a web designer. Graphic design vs. web development is different. This is because graphic designers are not the only ones creating their work.
Graphic design and web design are two different disciplines that require different skills and knowledge. Both professions use visual elements to convey messages or present information. However, web design is focused on interactive digital platforms, while graphic design is focused on visual designs. Anyone who wants to be a graphic designer or web designer needs to understand the differences between these two fields, and we hope this guide answers those questions for you.
Contact EWM to discuss your web development and design needs.